Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Predictably Irrational - My co. Style

I have been reading a book lately - Predictably Irrational by dan ariely (Author prefers to write his initials in small letters, maybe because he is irrational !) Let me describe the book. The book has an interesting photograph. Looks like by a sales guy with a multi-colored pen in his hand keeping himself busy while listening to the engineering and product design teams in a 2 hour tele-conf session.  
Well, dan would know the details on that. What I know is that there is a lot that I dont know about the company and its associates I have been working with for last 4 years. Imagine this, the company spent its startup capital of 25 manyears (roughly 25 X 5,00,000 INR or $300,000) on recreating software that is available for free on the internet. Some say its creative destruction, I call it simply stupid. 
And when the push comes to shove, the "management" goes to the commonsensical team of 22 guys and asks to replicate a product in 6 months (btw, the best in class took 100,000 manyears to develop the product and its still improving by the hour). 
The next level of irrationality is that when challenged by this team, they are told that they are creating history by doing a seemingly impossible task. Thats not where it ends all, the management is right now focussed on atleast 1000 customers by year end. Ofcourse thats possible, afterall the 10 salesguys we are, we can easily get a customer every 2 days. I forgot to mention that it takes 15 days to write a contract!
dan, do you work for my company by some other name. Afterall, seems that you had us in mind while coming out with your blog - Arming the Donkeys!!!

1 comment:

'S' said...

Hahaha!! Good One!